Thursday, February 23, 2012

Writing Academically, Part 1

,
Since this is supposed to be a blog for budding young anthropologists, I thought it wouldn't be enough to just have resumes and analyses of texts. We need to know how to get started on our writing as well. How do you write an anthropological essay?. Obviously this isn't the only way to do it, and I've never published a New York Times best-seller. However, I have written my fair share of essays and at least I know how I like to write. It seems logical to me that everyone should put some effort into finding what works for them and construct a personalized work method adapted to their needs. Knowing the steps I go through might help you along the way - so here goes.

Know what you'll be writing about
This point might seem redundant, but I find that if I'm not disciplined before starting an essay, I seldom know precisely what my argument is, which texts I'll be using and in what way. It might turn out fine in the end - but then again, it might not. Allowing for flexibility and flow is not the same as being unprepared. Do yourself the favor of taking some notes. It doesn't have to be awfully much, just an idea for an argument and how you'll present it. For example, here are my actual notes for an exam I had to write:

"On so-called primitive exchange, use Sahlins' theory/arguments & Stark's empirical data from the Flats (modern). Use Tapay [an ethnography by Karsten Paerregaard on economic strategies in a remote Peruvian village] to show diff. forms of non-mon [non-monetary] exchange. Exists in b. primitive and modern society. Fosters social ties and connects people/villages/families. Nothing primitive about it, very useful for coping with uncertainty & hard times. Outside of the est. [established] system, on the fringes of mod. cap. econ. [modern, capitalist economy], same uncertainty as in "primitive" times.

Tentative conclusion: Exchange and barter is not primitive at all, Sahlins is too narrow. A strategy, not mode or obsolete remnant of earlier, primitive times."

You'll see I had some idea of my texts and the central argument. I had a half-written conclusion in there as well. But it's short. It didn't take long to write, but helped immensely in staying on track. I find a couple of sentences as this to be enough for a 20-paper essay. Obviously it wasn't the whole paper and other revelatory tidbits came down the line, but the skeleton structure persisted. So, first lesson is very simple, yet important:

Know your central argument and conclusion before starting an essay. Scribble it down and keep yourself on track during the writing phase.

0 comments to “Writing Academically, Part 1”

Post a Comment

 

So you want to be an Anthropologist? Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger